A ‘Home for the feeble- minded’ was opened off Cumnor Rise Road in 1907. A design of about 1914 by Clough Williams-Ellis describes a home for ‘feeble-minded girls’ [RIBA British Architectural Library online]. The home became part of the NHS in 1948 under Berkshire County Mental Hospital Management Committee, passing to St. Birinus Hospital Management Committee in about 1968. The home was later used for pre-discharge patients from Borocourt. At its closure (after 1973) it was a mental handicap hospital.
Records of Cumnor Rise
There may also be administrative information for the post 1948 period in the St Birinus Group Hospital Management Committee records at Berkshire Record Office.
Last updated: 29 August, 2018